Birmingham-Southern College Bookstore Policies
- Unless you drop the course, textbooks must be returned by the next business day from date of purchase. Receipt required.*
- Textbooks may be returned within the second week of classes with a receipt and proof that the class, for which the books were purchased, has been dropped. (Bring a current copy of your TheSIS class schedule and student ID).
NO RECEIPT = NO REFUNDIf the textbook was purchased new and has not been damaged or written in, the bookstore will refund the full purchase price. If the textbook has been damaged or written in, the bookstore will refund half the purchase price. It is up to the Bookstore personnel to determine the condition of returned textbooks. Shrink-wrapped material must be unopened.
Course Packets are only refundable by dropping the class within the first two weeks of class and must be in original shrink-wrap. You must also present a copy of your TheSIS class schedule showing that you have dropped the class in order to receive a refund on a course packet.
Refunds will be given in the same manner as purchased with the exception of a check.
If you have trouble with a textbook bought from us (bad binding, missing pages, etc.), bring the book back immediately and we will repair or replace it. We will not exchange or refund it at the end of the term. We will decrease the buyback price on a damaged book to cover necessary repairs (or not buy it at all).
*Interim and summer term books may be returned within 5 days from the first official day of class if the course is dropped. Otherwise, books must be returned by the next business day. Please note that books can not be returned after the last day for refunds. Check store for date.
back to top
BOOK BUYBACK POLICY
(How to Sell Your Books to the Bookstore)
Where?By the front entrance of the bookstore.
When?December and May. Check Schedule for specific dates and times.
How?The bookstore will buy your textbook for half the purchased price if the following conditions are met:
- You provide your BSC Campus Card.
- Your professor has ordered the book for the next term prior to buyback.
- The bookstore is not overstocked (meaning we have enough copies for the next class).
- The book is in saleable condition. Books with missing pages, missing covers, water damaged pages, and/or loose sections can not be bought back.
- If you bought a package (textbook bundled with supplementary material), all parts of the package must be included when selling it back.
If the Bookstore can't buy your book: The bookstore has a national used book vendor to conduct each buy back. They may need your book if we are overstocked or it's a current edition and just not being used again. They will not pay you half price as the Bookstore would, but you have the option of keeping your book or trying to sell it at the next buy back. (Some courses are only offered once a year or every two years and the professor may or may not order the textbook again. By holding your book there is the chance it could go into a new edition.)
Please remember the purpose of buy back is to save you money by providing used books for the next term, not to buy books that are no longer used.
back to top
TEXTBOOK RENTAL POLICY
- Students must present their BSC ID at time of the rental and pay the applicable rental fee.
- Students must rent their own textbooks and may not use another student's ID to rent textbooks.
- Textbook rental fee is collected at the time rental textbook(s) are checked out at the bookstore.
- Each student is responsible for the textbooks he or she rents and must adhere to all terms and conditions in the rental agreement and this Policy, including, without limitation, all terms and conditions regarding textbook return.
RENTAL TEXTBOOK RETURNS:
Textbook Return Dates
- Return Date -- Rented textbooks must be returned to the BSC Bookstore no later than 4:45 p.m. on the Return Date. Students who withdraw from the college must return their rented textbooks no later than 4:45 p.m. on the semesters Return Date.
- Late Charges -- Late fees are charged for rented textbooks which are returned after closing time on the Return Date. Students who wish to keep rented textbooks (including those used in sequence courses) for study over the semester break and over summer must pay an additional rental fee before 4:45 p.m. on the Return Date.
- Drops -- To obtain a full refund of the rental fee, the student must return the rented textbook no later than 4:45 p.m. on the date noted on their rental receipt (usually two weeks from the first official day that classes begin). If a class is dropped after the second week of classes, the student may return the rented textbooks before the end of the term and avoid the penalty fee. However, the rental fee will not be refunded.
- Incompletes -- Students with incompletes in courses for which they rented textbooks must return the rented textbooks by 4:45 p.m. on the semester's Return Date in order to avoid being charged for the replacement cost of the unreturned rental textbook.
- Rented textbooks are to be returned to the BSC Bookstore during operating hours.
- Students may return another student's rented textbooks, but the student who rented the textbooks remains liable for all charges and costs if the other student fails to return the rental textbooks in a timely manner for any reason, including loss or theft.
FEES AND CHARGES:
- A student whose rented textbooks are not returned by 4:45 p.m. on the semester's Return Date will have the replacement cost of a rented textbook, applicable sales taxes and a $15.00 late charge per unreturned rental textbook charged to the either the student's student account or credit card. The replacement cost of a rental textbook is the textbook's replenishment cost from the publisher.
- At the discretion of the BSC Bookstore Manager, late charges for rented textbooks not returned by the Return Date deadline may be waived on account of sickness, injury or family emergency provided the student has a notification of absence or other proper documentation of the circumstances.
Lost, Stolen, and Damaged Texts
- If a rented textbook(s) is lost or stolen, or returned in so damaged a condition that it is not re-rentable, the student must notify the BSC Bookstore prior to 4:45 p.m. on the semester's Return Date, and in any of those events the replacement cost of the rented textbook plus applicable sales taxes will be charged to the student account.
- If a lost or stolen rented textbook is subsequently found or recovered and it is in good, undamaged usable condition and still used in the course (i.e. has not been discontinued) by the date it is returned, then the student shall receive the buyback value of the rented textbook which will be credited to the student account only.
- Students will have seven (7) days from the date they rent a textbook in which to inspect the rental textbook for damage or excessive highlighting, underlining, or marking and if found, reporting it to the BSC Bookstore Manager. If the student fails to report any pre-existing damage or excessive highlighting, underlining or marking within the 7-day period, then thereafter at the discretion of the BSC Bookstore Manager, the student shall be deemed to have accepted the rental textbook in its then current condition. This may result in the textbook's replacement cost plus applicable sales taxes being charged to the student's student account when the textbook is returned.
- Excessive highlighting, underlining, or marking textbooks is not allowed and may result in the new textbook replacement cost plus applicable sales taxes being added to the student's student account when the rental textbook is returned.
DisputesAll complaints involving rental textbooks, including without limitation, damage decisions, late charges and replacement cost of a textbook, and lost or stolen rental textbooks, must be delivered to the BSC Bookstore Manager within 14 days of the date the complained about problem occurred. Complaints submitted after the 14-day submission period will not be accepted for review and action.
If you have questions about this policy relating to your particular situation, it is important that you consult the BSC Bookstore Manager only. You assume the risk of relying on information from other students or faculty members because the information may be inaccurate. The BSC Bookstore's telephone number is (205) 226-4736.
back to top
RENTAL TERMS OF AGREEMENTIn consideration for being allowed to rent textbooks, I agree to the following terms and conditions:
- I understand that it is my responsibility to return the rented textbooks to the proper location by 4:45 p.m. on the semester's Return Date or pay the replacement cost for the rented textbook, applicable sales tax and a late charge. If I ask someone else to return my rented textbooks and they fail to do so timely or for any other reason, I will remain responsible for my un-returned textbook. For the purposes of this Agreement, the replacement cost of a rented textbook is the textbook's replenishment cost from the publisher.
- If my rented textbook(s) is lost or stolen, or returned in so damaged a condition that it is not re-rentable, I must notify the BSC Bookstore prior to 4:45 p.m. on the semester's Return Date, and in any of those events the replacement cost of the rented textbook plus applicable sales taxes will be charged to my credit card or student account.
- I understand that the rental textbook is the property of the Birmingham-Southern College. To rent a textbook, I must pay the textbook rental fee. By accepting the terms of the textbook rental program, I promise to return the rented textbook to the BSC Bookstore in good, undamaged and rentable condition and without excessive highlighting, underlining, or marking by 4:45 p.m. on the semester's Return Date.
The Return Date is July 29, 2016.
- I authorize the Birmingham-Southern College to place my student records on hold and to charge to my student account either an amount equal to the replacement cost of the rented textbook, applicable sales tax and a $15.00 late charge per rental textbook that is not returned by 4:45 p.m. on the semester's Return Date or the replacement cost of the rented textbook and applicable sales tax if the textbook is lost or stolen, or returned in so damaged a condition that is no longer rentable. Excessive highlighting, underlining, or marking of textbooks is not allowed and may result in the rented textbook being so damaged it is no longer rentable.
- I agree that all identifying stickers/labels on rental textbooks must remain intact and must not be removed, altered, or obliterated.
- I understand that if I drop a course for which I have rented a textbook, the rental fee is refundable only if I return the rented textbook no later than 4:45 p.m. within the first two weeks from the official 1st day of classes and a printed revised class schedule showing the course has been dropped. If I have an incomplete in a course for which I rented a textbook, I must return the rented textbook no later than 4:45 p.m. on the semester's Return Date to avoid a charge to my student account.
back to top